Make the Holidays Sweeter with History Cherokee’s Historic Sweetscapes
People are flocking to the Cherokee County History Center to view Historic Sweetscapes: A Gingerbread Journey through Cherokee County. The mini exhibit, on display in History Center’s Ken White Main Hall, features five historic Cherokee County buildings meticulously recreated in gingerbread and other confectionery delights. And although it may be hard to choose, guests are encouraged to vote for their favorite Sweetcape. The people’s choice winner will be announced in late December.
This year’s Historic Sweetscapes journey takes us to:
Ball Ground – Jill’s Cakes and Bakes created the Historic Ball Ground City Hall and Fire Station. The building, which served as City Hall, the courthouse, jail, and storage for the town’s fire hose cart from the early 1900s to 2006, is now home to Scooped on Main.
Canton – Whim-Wham Art Farm created Cotton Mill #1 from the Canton Cotton Mills. This rendition of the historic mill in downtown Canton includes a train, Salty Dog, Cat’s Meow, and the historic mulberry tree. The Canton Cotton Mills operated from 1899 until 1981. Today, the mills have been repurposed into The Mill on Etowah with stores, restaurants, event spaces and more.
Holly Springs – Coco’s Confections Atl created the Holly Springs Train Depot. The train depot was constructed in the early 1900s by L & N Railroad and used primarily as a freight depot. When service ended in Holly Springs in 1959, the building was leased to the town and served as City Hall. The City of Holly Springs now owns the building and uses it as a community center.
Waleska -Quinland Farms created Cline’s Store in Waleska. Cline’s Store was built in the 1920s by Luther and Levi Cline. The store remained in operation for nearly a century, first as a general store then as an antique store.
Woodstock – Bananas and Beehives created Commercial Row in Woodstock. Commercial Row is currently home to restaurants, bars, and shops, although it is most noted for having once been home to Dean’s Store (now the Woodstock Visitors Center). Originally Dean’s Drug Store, the store was opened by Dr. W. H. Dean in 1906 and was in operation until 1981.
Historic Sweetscapes: A Gingerbread Journey through Cherokee County can be viewed in the Cherokee County History Center’s Ken White Main Hall through December 17. The exhibit is free for History Cherokee members to view and included with general admission for non-members. For more information, including admission prices and hours of operation, visit historycherokee.org.